Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Networking

     I am quickly learning that I am definitely going to be meeting a lot more people during this journey in college.  That's just an inevitable result of wanting to venture out into the world.  Humans are sociable beings and no matter how much you may want to stay in your bubble, sooner or later, It WILL burst when you enter a situation where you are forced to interact with others.  I don't necessarily keep myself in a bubble, but it definitely wouldn't hurt to develop stronger communication skill, especially since I want to become a software engineer.  It's imperative that I learn how to network more - professionally and socially.  I'll never know who I might run into again; that's the reason why it is so important to get to know the people currently around me.  Networking allows me to keep in touch with those people so despite the possibility of never seeing them again, I'll always be able to contact them in the future. That lesson, beside time-management, is the most important life lesson I've learned so far during these first two weeks of college.

      Converse, converse, and CONVERSE some more with your fellow peers! You never know what you have in common with them unless you approach them and crack your lips.  I know- sometimes it may seem hard to break the ice, but act natural and make yourself seem approachable, friendly and carry yourself with a sense of pride. People are naturally drawn by others who are sure about themselves.  Hesitation and the worry of being rejected are the only things stopping an attempt to possibly make a new lifelong friend- just go for it.  What's the worst that could happen? The person doesn't have much in common with you? Even if they don't, it doesn't mean you can't eventually become friends or at best, still respect them.  Don't worry about the worse, but be optimistic about the potential in networking. As long you aren't jeopardizing your identity by being superficial , you will eventually build a strong network of people who like you for who you are- not for trying to become like them.  BUILD RELATIONSHIPS NOW while you still have those people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment