It seemed like just yesterday I started my journey of taking summer classes. Three weeks ago, I purposefully woke up at 6:20A.M., , jumped out of bed, and started on my way to class...except...in June. "You just graduated school- 2 weeks ago! Why would you step right back into a classroom?" Realistically, I could've asked myself that question... but honestly, the experience of summer school isn't as bad as popular belief. It met my expectations of what I based summer school on. The base was on high school except without the spoon-feeding. The challenge of more self-reliance was something I always felt high school lacked. I especially appreciate that learning style myself since I usually study to myself. Well, that went out the door when I started studying with friends new and old.
I met some interesting people that I felt I could get to know better through studying together and just by conversing. I also felt like my entire day was just too repetitive even though it also felt too short. Going from 7 hours, 5 days, 180 days in high school to 4 hours, 5days, four weeks in summer school leaves you wanting more. Honestly, I wish it was longer. Maybe that's just because I've already become acquainted with the system:
- Wake up, shower, get dressed
- Leave home around 40 minutes before class
- Buy a quick breakfast from SUBWAY ( Expensively EATING FRESH everyday!)
- Math Class
- Spend my break in the library/lounge finishing homework/blogging
- English Class
- Lunch and then hang around campus for a while
- Go home and nap, game, or homework
- Rinse & Repeat
An extended semester would be unfair to coordinators and staff, I admit, but a longer day is something I definitely wouldn't mind. I only take two classes which frees me up at noon. Since I drive and have no where in particular to be, I just hang around as long as I want. I have SO MUCH free time, it is ridiculous. How could I possibly benefit from going back home so early? I might hang around to finish homework or talk for the little bit of time I do have with friends before their next class but after that, what's next?
Think about it. Would you want to leave something as soon as you started becoming adjusted to it? That's how I feel right about now with this summer schedule. However, at the same time, I don't want to become mechanical in how I go about my schedule. I don't want to through the motions during the day because if I do everything starts to become stale and lose the expectancy factor. Carry out each day with purpose.
No comments:
Post a Comment