MOMMA, can you make me some breakfast and would you mind ironing my shirt while I take my shower?! Hey Dad, can I have a couple bucks for gas? Can I go to that party even if you must give me a curfew? Thank you, thank you, thank you. I hope you were thankful for your parents doing those things when you asked it of them. I mean, that's what they have to do, right? Well, keeping those expectations won't help you at all in college.
You are now on your own and it is up to you to contemplate on those decisions. Will your pre-class "breakfast" be a bag of chips or some cereal? How about transportation: driving, using Pat and Charlie, or riding a bike to class? Are you going to study tonight or go to that big frat party, and if you do, will you be so incoherent that you forgot your key so your roommate had to let you in? Those common provisions such as breakfast and approval to do something will not be as available anymore. Mom and Dad can't choose those decisions for us so we must take on that RESPONSIBILITY.
I may be only taking summer classes now and not fully enrolled yet, but I do feel those responsibilities coming upon me. I have to wake up and prepare myself and materials for classes. I buy my own food before class everyday and make sure I have gas so I won't have to worry about stopping at the pump early in the morning. I choose how I spend my time whether it is studying, or doing whatever else. I still find it surprising how much free time I have since I thought college would be more...busy. I can understand now why it is so easy to get distracted with it all! Regardless, it is too late now. I've long crossed the boundary that separated being a kid with no major concerns from the life in the real world.
What I am trying to say is to do not be in a hurry to grow up. I'm looking forward to it, but you do not have to take on that type of responsibility prematurely. Enjoy only having to worry about school, chores, and the minor tasks given by your parents. Ironically I sound like I'm already regretting college(I don't). Simply, I'm just saying to enjoy having less responsibilities now because they will pile up in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment